gpsd-dev

Re: BUG: ubxtool enable/disable RAWX fails

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: BUG: ubxtool enable/disable RAWX fails
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 12:06:57 -0700

Yo John!

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 14:44:35 -0400
John Ackermann N8UR <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was following the instructions given in the gpsrinex man page which
> doesn't reference the -P command.

Because the 9-series is newer than that man page.  No one has gotten
gpsrinex to work reliably with the 9-series, so no good doc is
possible yet.

I just updated the gpsrines man page to mention -P.

> ubxtool -e RAWX -P 20.30 ::/dev/ttyACM1
>
> for an M8P works.

Good.

> As far as I can tell, the only place the -P option is mentioned is in
> the middle of the ubxtool man page, and it's not shown in any of the
> examples there.

Because the 9-series is newer than that man page.

Patches to man pages are encouraged.

> So this may not be a bug but it certainly is a serious documentation
> issue.  An improvement might be to make the -P argument mandatory and
> not optional, with a brief help explanation if it's not used.

Only 9 series really needs it, and few have 9-series.  So mandatory does
not make sense.

> The ubxtool man page should certainly make the -P argument much more
> visible, and should include an example.

The arguments are in alpha order.  Not gonna change that.  No way to know
what is important to any one person.  So read it all.

Tha man page is already too long.  If you have a simple addition, send
a patch.

> From your other message it seems gpsrinex might be deprecated,

No.  Not at all.  I works great for every GNSS, except for the new
and poorly documented 9-series.

> but if
> not its man page should also be updated to show the correct command
> syntax in the examples.

Before we can document, before examples,  we need to get it to work.

> [ BTW, another non-obvious point across the documentation is that I
> couldn't find an example of using "::/dev/ttyUSBx" as the syntax for
> addressing one GPS device out of several.  It's hinted at, but never
> expressly stated and there's no example that I could find. ]

Because it is not required 99.9% of the time.  Usually by the time
people are doing RINEX with gpsd they know the doc pretty well.  It is
in there, right at the top of the man page.  Same for all clients.

If you have a doc change to make it clearer, then please send it in.

Now, what about the files I asked you for?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588