gpsd-dev

Re: Python version hell

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Python version hell
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 12:10:24 -0700

Yo John!

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:02:54 -0400
John Ackermann N8UR <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Gary --
>
> I'm trying to follow your message, but not having much luck.  I've
> trimmed some below for brevity; I didn't mean to chop anything
> relevant. I won't get into the /usr/local/lib stuff as that's not
> critical.
>
> On 4/28/20 1:53 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> >> After RTFM, I ran "scons target_python=python3.7" and that
> >> completed without errors.
> >
> > Good.
> >
> >> HOWEVER, the python programs like gpsrinex and gpsprof still use a
> >> shebang line of "#!/usr/bin/env python" which executes the default
> >> python2.7.
> >
> > Which is the correct behavior.
>
> Why would that be the correct behavior?  I told it the python target
> was 3.7.  Why shouldn't it configure the scripts to run that version?

Because you did not tell it to.  Because gpsd by default conforms to
Python PEPs and FHS.  Not the Ubuntu flavor of the day.

> >> That of course fails, because the gps module is built for Python3
> >> per the target_python argument.
> >
> > Fails because you forgot to build for both versions of Python.
>
> ??? I didn't *forget* to build, I didn't *want* to build for both
> versions.  That's why I told it the target was 3.7.  Why should I have
> to build for both?  I don't want to use 2.7 at all.

And yet, you are using python2.7.  Do or don't.

> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what's going on here.  It seems that
> in this time of Python transition there should be a straightforward
> way to build the tools for the version you want.

Yup.  There is.  For proof, look at all the distros that do so.

No way the defaults will ever make everyone happy, that is why there
are lots of options, that I already suggested to you, to make it do
what you wish.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588