gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] problem with Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] problem with Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:13:53 -0800

Yo Charles!

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 22:47:56 +0100
"Charles Muggen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Real quick, where does the "prefer" go?

In your ntp.conf.  Just as the time service howto says to:
    www/gpsd-time-service-howto.txt

> I read this from https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/driver_shm.html
> refclock shm unit 0 refid GPS
> refclock shm unit 1 prefer refid PPS

Yes, that works.  More options in the time service howto.

> currently, my ntp.conf file reads like this. it's copied verbatim
> from the HOWTO manual (except for the extra # on the pool):

And what about your ntp.conf.d?

And, since you are NOT going to be a time server, and are off-net, not
quite right...

> # /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd; see ntp.conf(5) for help

Is it really in /etc/ntp.conf?  And you are sure that is where your
ntpd expects to find it?  What about other places your ntpd looks in.
Of course, it is distro dependent...

> # Prefer the precise clock at unit 1 over the imprecise one at unit 0.
> # GPS PPS reference (NTP1)
> refclock shm unit 1 refid PPS

Missing prefer

> # GPS Serial data reference (NTP0)
> refclock shm unit 0 refid GPS
> # Check servers
> #pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst

No pool, good.  Except...

> # By default, exchange time with everybody, but do not allow configuration.
> restrict default kod limited nomodify nopeer noquery
> restrict -6 default kod limited nomodify nopeer noquery

Good, but you are also off-net.

> # Local users my interrogate the NTP server more closely
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict -6 ::1

> # Drift file etc.
> # Ensure that the directory exists, and is writable by whichever user
> # the ntpd daemon runs as
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
> #end

And, by default, ntpd wants three time sources.  Since you are off-net
you only have two.  Usually when people are off-net they use chronyd
instead of NTP.  After all, NTP == Network Time Protocol, and you
are NOT on the net.

I never run off net, so I may be off here, and you may be best to ask
on an NTP list, but, I vaguely recall this may be the magic to
tell ntpd to only use one clock:

tos minsane 1 minclock 1

I could be really wrong on that.  You are using ntpd in a way it was
not intended to be run.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588