gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 13:23:13 -0800

Yo Devren!

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 16:11:17 -0500
Devren Yener <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary, I agree with your economic point, especially knowing how much
> time I___ve already spent trying to figure this out. Could you
> recommend a good accurate $100 GPS unit which is compatible with
> gpsd/chrony? A lot of the ones on the official gpsd hardware list do
> not have PPS. And a new unit by the same company as my old one (ESE)
> is over $1400 (including built-in NTP server!).

Depends on your use case.  Also depends, today, on supply lines.  I would
avoid things shipped out of China as they may be a long time coming.  I
know many people with long unfulfilled orders...

Uputronics has nice bare boards, and Raspberry i HATs:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_64

Shipping from UK is quick, and some USA stores have stock too.

There are other options if you are looking for higher levels of integration.
For example uputronics has a complete GPS/NTP server for about $250.

> Greg, to respond to your suggestion about using PPS without gpsd

I'll let Greg handle this one.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588