gpsd-users

Using iburst and pools

From: Steve Bourland
Subject: Using iburst and pools
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 11:30:35 -0500 (CDT)

Yo Gary!
Hope you are well during this chaos, reading the mailing list brought up a couple questions:

And I've complained about the iburst before. As well as using the
pool.

Can you (easier than me Googling it) point me to the discussion? I think I understand the iburst, but what's bad about using pool servers? Thinking it's a case where when you start (and look up the IP), you may get pointed to a server that drops out of the pool later? Is that any different than any server that may drop out later? Is there an expectation that servers will drop out of the pools? Just curious, if you don't have time right now, no worries.
                                        Thanks,
                                          Steve