gpsd-users

Re: Using iburst and pools

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Using iburst and pools
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 07:15:29 -0000

So, if I may interject for my own clarity. For an ntp server with a
properly running GPS and PPS, in a stable environment with reliable
network, this would suggest that - regardless of pool *or* peer - it is
best not to use iburst?

As in, iburst is desireable for _client_ ntp devices, not for those that
are themselves stratum one?

Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com

Paul,

I use iburst on both stratum-1 and client devices. On stratum-1 I use it on both the "prefer" clock (typically NMEA) and on the backup local servers and the Internet (e.g. pool) servers. I don't see it causing any harm.

I use reference NTP.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu