gpsd-users

garmin serial probe or force garmin serial mode.

From: Philip Lamb
Subject: garmin serial probe or force garmin serial mode.
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 16:23:46 +1300

Hi all,

I’ve got a Garmin device connected via serial link and configured to report in garmin format. gpsd fails to automatically recognise the format, and I see from the source at https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/blob/master/driver_garmin.c#L1301 that in fact no probe is implemented to detect this mode.

How can I force gpsd into garmin-serial mode? I saw some mention of feeding some formatted json to the device, but I can’t find any documentation on that approach, and even if that worked, how would I ensure that is done every time gpsd starts?

Kind regards,
Phil.