gpsd-users

Re: garmin serial probe or force garmin serial mode.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: garmin serial probe or force garmin serial mode.
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 20:11:45 -0700

Yo Philip!

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:39:35 +1300
Philip Lamb <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 31/03/2020, at 1:01 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> > According the their manual, The Geko is NMEA only.  It does not
> > support Garmin Binary.  See Appendix A, and Appendix C.
> >
> > http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Geko201_OwnersManual.pdf
> >
> > When the config offers "Garmin", that is just enabling some
> > proprietary NMEA sentences: $PGRME, $PGRMM, $PGRMZ, and $PSLIB.
>
> Actually, that's not correct. The Geko 201 and 301 do output NMEA
> (and it outputs the proprietary sentences even when NMEA mode is
> selected) but also support Garmin binary,

Got any dopcumentation on that?  Like what version of Garmin binary
it supports?

Any way I can get a raw dump of your garmin binary stream?

    $ gpspipe -R -n 300 > raw.log

> So, this motivated me to go and look at why the stream is not
> starting, and with a small change in driver_garmin.c I have found a
> fix and it works now:
>
> What was required was to replace the NULL value for the field
> '.event_hook' in the structure driver_garmin_ser_binary, with
> 'garmin_event_hook' (i.e. so that it matches the one used in
> driver_garmin_usb_binary).

Can you please send that as a proper diff?  A simple "git diff"
should do.

> I'm happy to submit this one-line change as a patch, although I don't
> know enough about the rest of the gpsd serial system to know whether
> this would have side-effects elsewhere. Any thoughts?

I have some garmins layong around, and other receivers, so easy to test.

I wrote that over a decade ago.  I think all that does is probe the
GPS to wake is up.  The USB ones needed it, but not the serial ones,
until now.  Certainly worth some testing.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588