gpsd-users

Re: No PPS from gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: No PPS from gpsd
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 15:40:24 -0700

Yo Jim!

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:49:37 +0000 (UTC)
Jim Pennino <penninojim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Did you use "-D 4" with gpsd?  That is the best way to debug PPS.
> > > As gpsd only logs to syslog, I did not do that as setting syslog
> > > to debug will fill with messages from everything on the system.
> > > IMHO gpsd should have an option to set the logging facility to
> > > something quieter such as usr1.
> >
> > Where it logs to is configurable by your logging system.  I only
> > need a minutes worth.
> >
> > No, where a program logs to is determined by which facility is
> > compiled in absent a switch to change it at run time. gpsd is
> > obviously compiled to log to LOG_SYSLOG.
>
> Yes, but what your syslogger does with it is up to you.  I don't know
> what syslogger you use, so can not provide configuration hint.
> It does the same thing as every other syslogger in the world, i.e.
> writes to files determined by log facility and log level.

I checked the code on this:

gpsd/gpsd.c:    openlog("gpsd", LOG_PID, LOG_USER);

So gpsd logs to "ident" "gpsd".  See "man 3 syslog".

That is unique, so you can tell your system logger to route that
to wherever you want..

In syslog-ng.conf, I have:

    destination gpsdf { file("/var/log/gpsd"); };
    filter f_gpsd { program("gpsd"); };
    log { source(src); filter(f_gpsd); destination(gpsdf); };

Viola!  All gpsd messages go to /var/log/gpsd

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588