gpsd-users

Re: ublox F9P - rover: no RTK fix with default gpsd ublox initialisation

From: Michael Haberler
Subject: Re: ublox F9P - rover: no RTK fix with default gpsd ublox initialisation
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:27:57 +0200

Hello Gary,

> Am 10.10.2022 um 20:22 schrieb Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com>:

>> - F9P with RTCM3 fed to UART1 via str2str
>> (https://github.com/rtklibexplorer/RTKLIB/tree/demo5/app/consapp/str2str)
>
> How is that F9P configured?
>
>> - UART1 set to 115200 ubxtool -z CFG-UART1-BAUDRATE,115200
>> - rtcm feed:  /usr/local/bin/str2str -in
>> ntrip://XXXXX:YYYYY@euref-ip.net:2101/GRAZ00AUT0 -out
>> serial://rtcm:115200:8:n:1
>
> I can't help you with str2str, I never use it.  WHy are you not using the
> built-in gpsd ntrip client?

I'm still blundering up my learning curve, so please be patient

it was the first configuration I got to work - separation of concerns, allows
me to fix one issue at time
I go the impression ntrip specs to be a moving target, as seem casters
and I could not get two casters to work with the builtin ntrip client which
work perfectly fine with the RTCM3 stream sent via str2str
I will provide logs etc for these failures, and will happily switch to the
builtin ntrip client once I get it working

but let's keep that separate for now - AFAICT it is unrelated to my issue

>> - gpsd connected to USB port of F9P
>> - gpsd 3.24 build from source 0dbc9e
>
> Good enough.  But if you want to try patches you'll need gpsd from git.

I actually built from git and comfortable with it

>> - RTK fix if run with GPSD_OPTIONS="--passive --speed 460800 --debug
>> 1 --listenany --nowait"
>
> Uh?  gpsd has no GPSD_OPTIONS?  Are you using systemd(umb)?
>
> I can't help you with system(umber).

admittedly confusing
will use gpsd from command line only for debuggung

> And, as I said above, passive leaves it in whatever config it was in,
> so you basically get random config that way.
>
>> - 3D DGPS fix only if GPSD_OPTIONS="--speed 460800 --debug 1
>> --listenany --nowait"
>> - UBXOPTS=-P 27.31
>
> Not useful without your ubxtool command line....
>
>> happy to provide any ublox config - not sure how what to retrieve and
>> how
>
> A good start is to send us the output of gpsdebudinfo.

I assume you mean the debug log output of gspd

I ran with and without passive, see logs below - I uploaded them to
https://static.mah.priv.at/pub/gpsd-debug because they are a tad bulky
I kept the RTCM3 stream to UART1 running with str2str all the time so no
attempt to use builtin ntrip client for now

> Then to get the F9P config, do, as root (not under sudo):
>        ubxtool -p CONFIG > config.log
>
> And then a sample of your F9P output:
>        gpspipe -R -x 10 > raw.log

first, with --passive, gets an RTK fix:

mah@oe-sox:~/src/gpsd/gpsd-3.24/gpsd$ ./gpsd --passive --speed 460800 --debug 5
--listenany --nowait --foreground /dev/ublox-zed-f9p 2>&1 |tee
/home/mah/src/gpsd/debug/gpsd-D5.log

gpsd log: https://static.mah.priv.at/pub/gpsd-debug/rtkfix/gpsd-D5.log
ubxtool -p CONFIG  output:
https://static.mah.priv.at/pub/gpsd-debug/rtkfix/config.log
gpspipe -R -x 10  output:
https://static.mah.priv.at/pub/gpsd-debug/rtkfix/raw.log

second, without the --passive flag - 3D DGPS fix only:

mah@oe-sox:~/src/gpsd/gpsd-3.24/gpsd$ ./gpsd --speed 460800 --debug 5
--listenany --nowait --foreground /dev/ublox-zed-f9p 2>&1 |tee
/home/mah/src/gpsd/debug/gpsd-D5.log
gpsd log: https://static.mah.priv.at/pub/gpsd-debug/no-rtkfix/gpsd-D5.log
ubxtool -p CONFIG  output:
https://static.mah.priv.at/pub/gpsd-debug/no-rtkfix/config.log