Re: [Groff] new round of html bugs

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] new round of html bugs
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:58:17 +0100

Hi Werner,

firstly, thanks for the bug report and reporting several bugs I had not
noticed before. The cropping and black box problems are a pain aren't they :-).
Regarding #5

address@hidden writes:
> 5. At the begin of section 14 there is a formatting problem:
>    The code
>
>      The syntax is
>      .DS
>      .CW
>      \fBdefine\fP \fIname\fP \fB{\fP \fIreplacement text \fB}\fP
>      .R
>      .DE
>
>    is translated to

>      <pre>
>      </b></pre>
>
>    At least with my browser (Netscape 4.73 on Linux), everything is
>    bold, and nothing is in italics.  What results do you get?  Do
>    font changes really work in <pre> ... </pre>?

my netscape (Netscape 4.7/Export, 15-Sep-99) and Mozilla honor the font changes.
In my copy of the HTML Definitive Guide by O'Reilly p103 says:

 "The text within a <pre> segment may contain physical and content-based
style changes, along with anchors, images and horizontal rules. When
possible, the browser should honor style changes, within the constraint
of using a monospaced font for the entire <pre> block."

I wonder why 4.73 does not ?

Gaius