Re: [Groff] Problems with unwanted unicode.

From: Tomohiro KUBOTA
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problems with unwanted unicode.
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:22:59 +0900

Hi,

At Sat, 7 Jul 2001 17:46:58 +0200,
Radek Hnilica <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I'm using groff version 1.17 form Debian/GNU Linux Woody.  Yes there
> >   is support for Japanese in font/devnippon there.
> >
> > I currently can't remember how Japanese support is activated.  I
> > assume you have to say -Tnippon, right?
>
> Yes, but I newer try it.  I also dont know what is the device nippon output
> format.  I hope it is like a tty.  But heve no experience with it.

I am a Debian developer and am one of those who introduced Japanese
patch into Debian groff package, though I am not a developer of the
Japanese patch itself.

The Japanese patch seems to assume input text as EUC when devices
other than -Tascii8 and -Tlatin1 are selected.  (I.e., using -Tps
will enable EUC mode).  I am now planning to submit a patch which
enable EUC mode only under -Tnippon device.

(src/include/eucmac.h for detail.  "grep latin1 eucmac.h" will
immediately bring you to the problematic codes.  Note again;
use Debian source package.)

However, this problem is come from the poor initial design of groff,
where -T option is used for specifying device _and_ encoding.  Thus,
my patch might annoy Japanese people because Japanese people will
be located into the situation like you (Cannot use -Tps) with my
patch.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <address@hidden>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/