Re: [Groff] Problems with unwanted EUC.

From: Radek Hnilica
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problems with unwanted EUC.
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:41:40 +0200

        Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:22:59AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> > >   is support for Japanese in font/devnippon there.
> > >
> > > I currently can't remember how Japanese support is activated.  I
> > > assume you have to say -Tnippon, right?
> >
> > Yes, but I newer try it.  I also dont know what is the device nippon output
> > format.  I hope it is like a tty.  But heve no experience with it.
>
> I am a Debian developer and am one of those who introduced Japanese
> patch into Debian groff package, though I am not a developer of the
> Japanese patch itself.
>
> The Japanese patch seems to assume input text as EUC when devices
> other than -Tascii8 and -Tlatin1 are selected.  (I.e., using -Tps
> will enable EUC mode).  I am now planning to submit a patch which
> enable EUC mode only under -Tnippon device.

If can not introduce for instance a new switch to groff to set input encoding,
or doing something solid.  It will be nice if there will be some FAQ or README
for nippon and peoples from latinx world there.

For future I hope the unicode is solution.  I does not konow japanese bu some
time while trawelling to/from work by train I learn Hiragana on my Palm :).

> (src/include/eucmac.h for detail.  "grep latin1 eucmac.h" will
> immediately bring you to the problematic codes.  Note again;
> use Debian source package.)

Yes I am primarily compiling from debian source.  It is because I can simple
create an binary package and install it on other machines.

> However, this problem is come from the poor initial design of groff,
> where -T option is used for specifying device _and_ encoding.  Thus,
> my patch might annoy Japanese people because Japanese people will
> be located into the situation like you (Cannot use -Tps) with my
> patch.

If you can not ad extra switch.  Try to inform Japanese and Latinx peoples what
to do.  The complation is simple and there is only one line which need to be
corrected --[enable|disable]-japanese there.

--
Radek Hnilica <Radek at Balga dot CZ>
http://www.balga.cz/hnilica

                                                Turkish proverb