Re: [Groff] need advice on choosing a macro

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] need advice on choosing a macro
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:39:38 -0500

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:19:35AM +0100, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> I'm sure others can elaborate, but the general advice you hear is to
> avoid -ms for longer documents.

I *certainly* disagree with that statement.  I used ms to write a
book and Rich Stevens (e.g.) wrote all (7) of his (very large)
books using it.  As I said in my last post in this thread, _Unix
Text Processing_ is another example of a moderately large book
(over 500 pages) written with ms.

I will say that in all these cases extra macros were added to do
special chores, so maybe that's what people mean when they say
avoid ms on larger documents.  On the other hand, it's hard to
imagine using any of the macro packages alone to do a big job.

Jon Snader