Re: [Groff] Adding fonts to groff -- instructions?

From: Pedro A. López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Adding fonts to groff -- instructions?
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:18:22 -0500

On 3/13/06, Robert Marks wrote:
> Ted suggests adding the font to /font/devps/DESC (see below).
> What is the purpose of this?
> I haven't done it and things seem to work, but perhaps I'm missing something.

PS printers and software RIPs (namely, ghostscript as it is the best
know and more widespread) have a limited repertoire of known fonts,
the (in)famous "LaserWriter 35), be it in ROM or disk. Everything else
must be downloaded; be it to the printer disk, RIP library directories
and configured accordingly; or downloaded with the print job. The DESC
file makes sure the latter happens with groff output.