Re: [Groff] Eric Raymond on groff and TeX

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: [Groff] Eric Raymond on groff and TeX
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 08:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

I think esr is emphasizing (!) that in a structural-markup language the tags
can have no typographic meaning whatsoever.

While it may be possible to mimic the tags of structural markup in a
presentation-markup language, there is power in completely and firmly
separating the two aspects: you can then independently develop the two aspects;
indeed the typographic aspect can come to embrace completely new and even
unexpected media whereas the structural aspect remains the same.

If you tie yourself to a presentation-markup language, there is no guarantee
that a user has not made use of the presentation-markup language in such a way
that it is impossible to migrate cleanly to a different structural markup or
presentation.  Indeed, it has been the norm for users to reach for low-level
commands while using high-level packages in groff or (La)TeX.  Neither system
prevents the user in any way from being "non-structural".

--d