Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 13:03:32 +0100

Hi Tadziu,

> (Also, ghostscript has the habit of reprocessing images even in
> pdfwrite mode (instead of passing on compressed image data untouched),
> which is somewhat suboptimal.)

Other that Ghostscript's compression perhaps not being as good, so the
image grows in bytes, does this matter?  The resulting pixels are the
same?

> Of course, the best solution would be for everybody to stop using PDF
> and start using Postscript instead.

I understand the motivation for PDF was speeding rendering, e.g. no
lexing of PostScript, and remove control flow so the linear description
of the page dominated render time, and not hard to predict, or faulty,
loops.

I often run ps2pdf(1) on PDF files here, e.g. from -Tpdf, as it often
makes them use fewer bytes.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy