Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:41:25 +0100

On Fri 06 Oct 2017 10:57:43 Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> Well, I get *different* errors, that at first sight appear
> somewhat bizarre but don't give the impression of something
> critical
>
>   bash$ groff -Kutf8 -pet -Tpdf RuTest.rof >RuTest.pdf
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>     RuTest.rof: Too many glyphs used in font '39'
>
> but the output is garbled (see picture).
> I'm using the distribution-provided groff on openSUSE Leap 42.2
> here.

I confirm this is a bug with gropdf. The type 1 fonts which are used by groff
allow up to 255 characters but
may exceed that in the number of glyphs defined. Often some of the 255
characters are not defined to a
particular glyph, i.e. are specified as ".notdef" rather than a particular
glyph, so when a document uses a
glyph beyond the 255 boundary gropdf searches for one of these undefined
characters and defines it to
represent the desired glyph.

The success of this course of action is dependent on the number of undefined
characters present in the
font and the number of glyphs required which are above the 255 boundary. This
is the case here, more
glyphs are used from above 255 than the number of undefined characters.

I will work on fixing this so that if gropdf runs out of undefined characters
which can be used it will start
using defined but unused characters. This is a little trickier, since a
character which points to an unused
glyph may in fact get used later in the document.

I will try to work on this over the weekend.

Cheers

Deri