Re: [TUHS] Re: symbols in eqnchar

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Re: symbols in eqnchar
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 23:57:21 +1000 (AEST)

Hi Branden,

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

I think not, and in fact I have a notion rumbling around in my head to
move many/all of the predefined macros into "eqnrc" to make it more
straightforward for people to (1) see how they're defined; (2) replace
them; and (3) develop their own dialects of eqn if they want to.

Smart move.

I think such a thing would probably be typed once per document, via an "include" primitive, rather than every time eqn is run. (And even if "include" didn't exist, I figure that most serious *roff documents are generated via Makefiles, not by ad hoc command line entry.)

As far as I can tell, the EQN

        include

does not honour the GROFF_TMAC_PATH search path. I think I would to see it default to

        . : the site-tmac directory : the standard tmac directory

but that might be a dumb idea. What does anybody else think?

Note that using an 'include' of a global file is problematic because there is no way to embed comments in that file as it must be solely EQN code.
        .
The longer names would be my preference. One of the selling points of eqn is that it is supposed to resemble mathematical language as spoken by a trained lecturer. Abbreviations don't serve that goal. Let users come up with their own abbreviations. A large and healthy community will tend to accrete a set of accepted, useful ones to the extend that doing so facilitates usage.[1]

For now, I have reworked the User Guide to NOT provide longer names and keeo to past practice. Mind you, as I said, IM have changed 'nomem' to 'notmem' in their implementation.

I do mention the longer names that (4 of us thought) are preferable in the body of the Guide and cross reference the EQNCHAR name. That said, that preferable longer name might not be what others think. The 4 of us are all Aussies and mostly engineers so others might think otherwise. Feedback needed there.

I do index the mention of those longer names and that cross reference.

I note that some people often abbreviate the "there exists" symbol, the reverse E, to the shorter form "exists" in their own code. So strictly correct long names will not suite everybody.

Also, what is an equals sign with a dot over it used for?

Thanks - Damian