grub-devel

Re: Some issues with VBE support.

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Some issues with VBE support.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:04:56 +0300

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:

Hmm... I switched from indexed color mode (0x101) to RGB mode (0x111) and now I seem to get picture from vmware too. It could be that in vmware, color index table is all black or something like that. I will diagnose that problem more later on...

After a while, also 0x101 started to work, until I stopped virtual machine for a while and started it :|, need to diagnose why this happened... but not now.

I'll probably publish a test version of it soon, but now I have to do other tasks.

I have made simple modification from vga terminal to vesafb terminal. It is far from being good or complete implementation. It is only provided to receive some feedback how it works and for other comments. Formatting of source code is probably not following grub 2 coding conventions.

Complete source for grub2 and my modifications can found from here:
http://jumi.lut.fi/~vjaaskel/grub2/grub2-20050710-vesafb.tar.gz

I have modified (at least) following files:
grub2/conf/i386-pc.rmk
grub2/kern/i386/startup.S
grub2/include/grub/machine/vbe.h
grub2/term/i386/pc/vesafb.c

To test it, run normal process of compiling grub2 (configure ; make ; ...)

After booting up:
insmod terminal
insmod vesafb
vbe_list_modes
(pick one listed mode)
set vbe_mode=<picked mode>
terminal vesafb

On startup.S there are also some VBE calls that are not yet implemented, so if you are going to play with it, check those from there first.

After I have some time to implement those, I could see what needs to be done elsewhere to really start using graphical modes and then start discussion on it.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen