Re: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:26:10 +0100

Am Samstag, den 14.11.2009, 13:22 +0100 schrieb Johannes Bauer:
> Felix Zielcke schrieb:
> > On launchpad someone made a bugreport where removing the search and
> > drivemap commands from the generated Win 7 menu entry by os-prober
> > breaks booting it.
> > So I removed drivemap command for Vista and 7.
> > It wouldn't make much sense if the search line would break it.
> Well, without the drivemap command, it doesn't boot up at all...
> > Did you try without drivemap?
> Yup. TrueCrypt immediately complains:
>  TrueCrypt Boot Loader
> Loader Damaged! Use Rescue Disk: [blabla]
> > You could also try to directly chainload MBR with (hd1)
> Well, that's the same as "chainloader (hd0,1)/boot/truecrypt.mbr", isn't
> it? I tried it and they yielded the same result.

I meant with set root=(hd1) or set root=(hd0) and with/without drivemap.
As I said there's a difference if you do set root=(hd1) chainloader
(hd0)+1 or set root=(hd0) ; chainloader +1

> > Note that there's a difference if you use set root=(hd1,1) chainloader
> > +1 or just chainloader (hd1,1)+1
> The "chainloader (hd1,1)+1" which was what I originally tried does not
> work at all since (hd1,1) is encrypted at that point and thus grub does
> not know recognize the file format and won't boot - forcing the
> chainload with "--force" causes the system to lock up at boot.

MBR would be (hd1) or (hd0) not (hd1,1)

But maybe it's really like Vladimir thinks and Truecrypt loader and
windows bootloader are different in this case.

Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer