Re: Grub overview/tutorial available

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Grub overview/tutorial available
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:39:49 +0200

Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,
> Just FYI, I've written up what I've learned about Grub during the last
> few weeks and put it up here:
> This is more detailed than simple "user level", but doesn't get into any
> code details. More at the "advanced sysadmin" level perhaps.
> Any feedback/corrections welcome; I'm fairly new to Grub so probably
> have some mistakes in there.
"This tool(grub-emu) can be used to install Grub." <--- wrong (outdated)
" Note also that there are a few commands that can be run in the “grub
shell” that are not available in a real Grub environment (because they
would be pointless)," <--- likewise
insmod /boot/grub/normal.mod normal <-- only one of 2 arguments and it
won't set prefix resulting in further problems. Correct action is:

set prefix=(<disk>)/boot/grub
insmod normal

'Grub “legacy” (the 0.x series) could only boot kernels that support the
“multiboot” specification.' <--- grub legacy has a linux loader too
'As Grub2 boots kernels by invoking a helper module (“linux”, “xnu”,
“bsd”), it can boot any kernel for which the appropriate helper module
has been written. Of course if a kernel supports multiboot, then writing
such a helper module is much simpler!'
Modules are NOT ''helpers'. They are separate loaders. and multiboot
needs no 'helpers'

    linux $root/mykernel root=xyz ---->  linux ($root)/mykernel root=xyz

' search –set=MYDEV – search.label mylabel MYDEV' at very least actually
try the commands you supply