grub-devel

RE: [RFT] PXE chainloader

From: Turner, Ian
Subject: RE: [RFT] PXE chainloader
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:36:55 -0400

> Unfortunately pxelinux then tries to find its configuration file in the
> wrong location because it takes the path from the boot file in the DHCP
> packet saved by PXE, which it expects to be pointing to itself but is
> actually pointing to grub itself.

Mangling the DHCP packet is probably the most flexible way to fix this, though
it's a lot more complex than the current patch. PXELINUX does exactly this kind
of mangling, so we might just be able to steal that code.

Regarding chainloading PXELINUX, it is possible to specify its configuration
file search path in some PXELINUX-specific DHCP options, so that is another
workaround.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Can_I_send_information_to_PXELINUX_via_special_options_in_the_DHCP_response.3F

Cheers,

--Ian