grub-devel

Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux

From: Raif S. Berent
Subject: Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:55:25 +0300

> Debian has no provisions for booting iso images from a server.
The regular live iso also fails to boot from HDD with loopback. As
posted somewhere along the thread, it seems that debian's loopback
kernel module must be extracted and placed on the HDD. Then one must
interrupt the install, drop to a shell, load debian's loopback module,
mount the debian iso with loopback and exit the shell. Only then will
the iso-loopback install work.

I'm not claiming to be correct - it's just what I read and the iso
file's behavior seems to support the theory.

> The netboot images work just fine. (including live images)
Yes, but this is a "minimal image" as I understand and additional
binaries (for example if you want an lxde desktop) will be downloaded.
That's fine for a single install, but requires re-download of same
packages should one aim to install on several systems.

If there is one, I have not come across a desktop (gnome/kde/lxde) live
image+netboot iso file in the repository.