Re: Module name mangling

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: Module name mangling
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:59:35 -0500

Dirk Herrmann wrote:
> IMO, if we actually agree about preferring a 'readable encoding', we don't
> have to know about all those characters yet.  Currently, the only name
> that is problematic is "and-let*.scm".  We know this, as it was reported
> as a bug to us.  Other than that it seems that the use of 'strange
> characters' in module names is rare.  So, IMO it would be sufficient for
> now to provide encodings for '*' and '%' (for '%' only because it
> will be used for the encoding scheme).  If we later realize that there
> are more characters which should be added to the list, we can easily fix
> it then.

I would carefully consider the use of '%'.  In M$ shells (and 4dos) the
'%' is used for variable substitution.  This only gets in the way if you
were to have to type the filename on a command line, and there is an
environment variable with the same name as the encoding. "emacs
and-let%star%.scm" might not get you the right file.

But who on a M$ platform *needs* to edit such a file?  People there
usually pick it from the File -> Open dialog of some gui editor.

Just something to consider.
  -Dale

--
Dale P. Smith