Re: program-arguments

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: program-arguments
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:16:09 +0200 (MEST)

On 20 Apr 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > shell> guile -- foo bar baz
> > guile> (program-arguments)
> > ==> ("guile" "foo" "bar" "baz")
> > guile> (set-cdr! (program-arguments) '())
> > guile> (program-arguments)
> > ==> ("guile")
> >
> > Is this intentional, or should program-arguments rather return a
> > deep copy of the arguments?
>
> Whether or not it's intentional I don't know, but I think we should
> just document the current behaviour.  No need to change it.

Hmmm.  If we document the current behaviour, it becomes official.  Maybe
we should at least state something like "The effect of modifying the
results returned from program-arguments is undefined".  Otherwise, people
will start to exploit the effect.  For us, however, this leaves the
possibility open to change the implementation without need to decide about
it today.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann