Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:09:00 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden (Han-Wen Nienhuys) writes:

> The per object GC stats are a hack of mine, and although I would be
> sad to see it go (it makes debugging memory leaks easier), I think
> getting BGC is worth it.  I don't see the point of the general GC
> stats.  I think I've never ever used it.

Same for me: I find `gc-live-object-stats' more helpful than `gc-stats'.
But as I said, even if we no longer have it in-core, we should be able
to partially emulate it using guardians et al.

> Isn't it is possible to get other lowlevel statistics, or a list of
> live objects from BGC?

That doesn't seem to be the case, but I need to investigate it further.
Anyway, even if we can have such information, it will be lower-level
than `gc-stats', so not very useful I'm afraid.

> there is a more useful benchmark at
>
>   http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/public/software/GCBench.scheme
>
> It's part of a suite by Hans Boehm of GC benchmarks, and I think you can
> find more Scheme transliterations on the net.

Thanks for the pointer!  I'll look into it.

Thanks,
Ludovic.