Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:01:13 +0100

address@hidden (Han-Wen Nienhuys) writes:

> Boehm is generational, AFAIK.
>
> Virtually everyone uses BGC. GCJ, MzScheme, BigLoog, GNU Obj-C, etc.
>
> See,
>
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
>
> for a longer list.

Thanks; lots of interesting stuff there.

> By using BGC, you potentially loose a bit of performance, since BGC
> isn't specialized for LISP/Scheme, but you get a system that is much
> better overall researched and tuned.

I like the "better research" and the maintainability angles, but I
don't see how we can say that BGC is "better tuned" than Guile's own
GC, if current data shows it performing less well.

Perhaps we aren't yet running a truly representative set of benchmarks
though?