Re: rfc: (ice-9 accumulate)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: rfc: (ice-9 accumulate)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:26:46 +0100

Hi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> Re (ice-9 foo) documentation, i took some pains to fill in the gaps w/
> Guile 1.4.x:
>
> - http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile/doc/Module-Index.html
>
> Shall i submit those (the relevant ones) as doc patches?

Would be nice, though I think it should be decided on a per-module
basis.  There are some modules that it may be worth deprecating and
leaving undocumented, perhaps.

>    I have a functional implementation of purely functional FIFO queues
>    (F. W. Burton, "An Efficient Implementation of FIFO Queues"), which
>    I’d rather push instead of an imperative one.
>
> Note that (ice-9 q) can add to the head of the queue, too.  A quick scan
> of <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/2000/FoundsCS/queues.ML> doesn't
> seem to show similar functionality.

Yes, because it’s a FIFO.  ;-)

>    Besides, the first idiom at [0] is about as concise as the one that uses
>    this API; in addition, it is likely to be more widely understood than
>    the latter.  This makes this API unappealing to me.
>
> I'm sorry, i don't follow.  What are you referring to as "the latter"?

The ‘accumulate’ API doesn’t lead to more concise code, but it leads to
“non-standard” code, which makes it unappealing to me.

> Hmmm, would it be possible to install (ice-9 accumulate) as is, w/o
> changes, somewhere under ${prefix}/share/guile (perhaps a site/ dir)?
> Would Guile be able to locate and load it?

Setting $GUILE_LOAD_PATH and $GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH appropriately
should be enough.

Thanks,
Ludo’.