Re: mtime of fresh .go

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: mtime of fresh .go
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:03:12 +0200

Heya,

On Fri 16 Jul 2010 10:07, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>   commit 535fb833b34dfc3cc11a679d39390b06fd7e9180
>   Author: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
>   Date:   Fri Jun 5 10:51:21 2009 +0200
>
>       stamp .go with timestamp of .scm; a fresh go has same mtime of .scm
>
>       * libguile/load.c (compiled_is_fresh): Rename from compiled_is_newer.
>         Check that the mtines of the .go and .scm match exactly, so we don't
>         get fooled by rsync-like modifications of the filesystem.
>
> When packaging things “normally”, the .go has an mtime strictly greater
> than that of the source file, so checking for equality doesn’t work.

But when reinstalling code from a binary packaging system, sometimes the
mtime can go backwards. In a perfect world target >= source should be
sufficient but this is how all caches that I know of (the gtk icon
cache, the gstreamer registry, etc) do things.

> Also, the code is similar to ‘fresh-compiled-file-name’ in boot-9.scm.
> Do you think they could be factorized?

Tough to tell without a patch ;-) IIRC it's not the same code due to
boot considerations.

http://wingolog.org/