Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile

From: Mikhail Kryshen
Subject: Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 07:03:21 +0300

Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Mikhail,
>
> Mikhail Kryshen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Andy,
>>
>> If you've long had issues with RMS, then why do you still want to be
>> with GNU?  You don't have to participate in GNU to be part of the free
>> software movement.  Is it that you see GNU as an important platform for
>> your political activism?  Is it about donations?  Identity?  Pride?
>> What is it so significant that it made you stoop to harassment and
>> defamation?  Or could it be that you act purely on emotion under
>> influence of the widespread moral panic?
>
> Andy is doing what he believes is right, like so many other people in
> this debate.  Let's focus on finding a way to maintain the amazing
> community around Guile and Guix, and to carry forward the spirit of GNU.
>
> Please don't impugn the character of others on this mailing list.

Sorry for that.  I admit, I got angry.  But I still have a point, so
let me distill it to the bare minimum of the following two
propositions:

1. Defamation is morally wrong and socially unacceptable.
2. A group of GNU maintainers participated in defamation or at least
   endorsed it.

Andy's message contains defamatory allegations.  The "joint statement"
(which is still present on guix.gnu.org) is vague, but its timing
implies strong relation to the recent defamatory media campaign, and the
signatories neither explained why they decided to do it now, nor
acknowledged it as a mistake.

Thus, I believe that the group of maintainers did a serious misconduct
which undermines trust in them and discredits the community.

And this has nothing to do with personality of RMS or his role in GNU.
Believing that RMS is bad for GNU is not an excuse for such actions.

--
Mikhail