Re: New arch branch: mainline

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: New arch branch: mainline
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:06:15 +0100

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I agree that bug-fixes releases for 1.3.X are a good idea, and I may
>>> focus on your changes there first.  If I recall right, we also still
>>> need to figure out the guile version soname issues, but I need to look
>>> back at our last exchange.  In any case, I still don't have a good
>>> grasp on arch so that I can interact with your repository, but that's
>>> first on my list for tomorrow.
>
> OK, I've finished (re)reading the arch docs, and I think I finally
> have much of it clear in my head.  I'll start playing around with your
> g-wrap archive this weekend sometime.  Is there any info I should be
> aware of, other than what you've posted recently?

No, other than that I ripped out the glib/gtk wrapper stuff in
--rotty--0.2 and there was a trailing slash missing somewhere in the
rsync command line in a mail of mine, but it's too late today for me
to look up the exact reference up now ;-)

>> 1) libffi support (mostly done, needs a bit of tweaking wrt thread-safeness)
>> 2) CSE support
>> 3) rewrite to g-wrap internally to use GOOPS
>>
>> For 1.3, we maybe what would be 1.3.5 should release as 1.4.0, so we
>> consistently use the linux versioning scheme starting with 1.4.0.
>
> OK.  I'll have a followup to your questions about the CSE stuff soon.
> I get the vague impression I might have made it sound like I'm more
> certain than I actually am that it's the "right thing", but we can
> hash that out as we go.

I really don't see a drawback in CSE, if it's as expressive as "real"
C, but there are some (obvious) advantages.

An *kept awake by KoRn & Beer* dy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett