Re: how to use [gtk-object-]destroy ?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: how to use [gtk-object-]destroy ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:21:49 +0100

Hi Jan,

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 22:42 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> I wondered when taking on the canvas defs, why are functions being
> defined only to be ignored?

I had been treating the .defs file as a purely machine-generated, modulo
the include directive, and any syntactically bogus output of h2defs.py.
Any changes were being put into the overrides file.

> As for sink, my knowlegde of gnome/gtk+ is just about as young as my
> acquaintance with guile-gnome...  Having more functions is better?

Heh, not when they're not needed ;) Basically, anything to do with
refcounting or copying is internal API, and not exposed to the guile
programmer. Otherwise you have the ability to cause a segfault, which
shouldn't be possible from scheme.

(WRT destroy: The support is there in gtkobject (see gtk.scm), but I
always used it on windows and widgets, which do define methods that
aren't ignored. The fact that the method on <gtk-object> isn't defined
is just a bug. I think I (or someone) hand-edited the gtk defs file a
long time ago, that's why you don't see a lot of other functions that do
deserve ignoring (from back in the days before GObject).)

> Apropos, I noticed that quite a number of (2.2) gdk functions are not
> available, is there any reason not to add some of those when I find
> them?

Re-generate the defs file, then tweak the overrides file as necessary.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>