Re: new unofficial guile-gtk tarball available

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: new unofficial guile-gtk tarball available
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:08:58 -0400

  > -AC_INIT(guile-gtk, 0.40-beta1, http://non-gnu.org/guile-gtk/)
  > +AC_INIT(guile-gtk, 0.40.90, http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gtk/)

OK, but that heads us towards 0.41.  I just looked around for the
version rules I remember so clearly and can't find them.
Basically,

  x.y.80 to x.y.89 are 'alpha' releases on the path to x.y+1
  x.y.90 to x.y.99 are 'beta' releases on the path to x.y+1

The nice thing is that simple elementwise comparison does the right
thing in terms of evaluating (newer? v1 v2).
So if the next release is going to be 0.40, that should become
0.39.90, but IMHO it doesn't matter much what the actual release
number is and 0.41 would do just fine - the point being that it is
greater than 0.19.
(I can certainly remake my distfile and tweak the package - that's no
big deal.)

Sorry if I'm causing trouble, but I admit to being of the opinion that
a little trouble that causes a release is s good thing.....