Re: change to gtk-1.2/threads.scm

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: change to gtk-1.2/threads.scm
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:59:20 +1000

Jonathan Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> I take this to mean that if it is true,
> the thread will block when there is no input.  So, I think we need to
> leave guile mode whenever we call gtk_main, so that blocking doesn't
> screw up guile.

Sounds plausible.  Is that what's actually happening, other thread
deadlocked waiting for rendezvous?

> So it seems that we either must leave guile mode to run the gtk event
> loop, or else run it in such a way that it does not block ever.

There's various places in the guile core which block without doing
"leave guile".  Not sure how those bits are meant to work.
guile-devel might be the place to take this up.

> I suppose that we'd have to wrap all callbacks to scheme function in
> scm_with_guile or something.

Probably better with bits in the g_thread_init funcs (which are
currently just the pthreads funcs direct).  I think they're supposed
to be the only places gtk/gdk/glib block.