Re: Installing scheme only programs

From: Diogo F . S . Ramos
Subject: Re: Installing scheme only programs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:46:02 -0300 (BRT)

>    I recently learn a technique where, during 'make', one 'cat' all the
>    sources files together, forming a big, single executable script. Doing
>    so, there is no need to install the .scm files, because they are all
>    inside the same executable file.
>
> This is the technique used in RPX:
>
>   http://www.gnuvola.org/software/rpx/
>
> It generalizes "compilation" from simple concatentation to include other
> program-specific transforms.  End result is two files to (un)install:
>
>  - $(bindir)/rpx
>  - $(infodir)/rpx.info
>
> No fuss, no muss.

I'm liking this technique and I will experience a little more with it.

I wonder if there is a tool to, say, strip all comments from the
"binary", so it could be smaller. I guess such tool would not be that
hard to write, but I don't know.

But I guess, in the end, the way to go would be using the new
compilation technology from guile 2.0, although not for now, as I'm
running 1.8.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos