Re: The Web, Continuations, and All That

From: Antono Vasiljev
Subject: Re: The Web, Continuations, and All That
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:59:31 +0300

On 01/22/2012 11:46 PM, Ian Price wrote:

>> To get better acquainted with continuations I have been playing with
>> them in the context of web programming a bit.  Much has been written
>> on the topic (in particular I find the Racket tutorials very
>> instructive), and here I would just like to share the small
>> experiments I did using delimited continuations and the Guile (web
>> server). Kudos to Andy for providing a very nice foundation.
>
> It's always nice to see someone playing with continuations. Your example
> is very similar to one I did a while back https://gist.github.com/1381107.
>
> It would be if someone(nudge nudge) were to take the effort to make one
> of these experiments practical, since a guile web framework seems to be
> a common request.

While i like the idea i should note that it does not scale. What if you
have 5 application servers (guile (import (web server)) running behind
reverse proxy. User may never fire needed continuation. Overall scaling
strategy for web is "avoid per node state" (see read-only filesystems on
Heroku).

PS: Ian, sorry for double reply.

amike,
antno