Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5

From: Vernon Oberholzer
Subject: Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 01:17:41 +0000

Hi Federico,
That is odd, on my Debian "wheezy" system, the debian packaged guile is a symbolic link /usr/bin/guile to
/etc/alternatives/guile, which in turn is a symbolic link to /usr/bin/guile-2.0 . What returns from the command "which guile" on your system ?

The method I have tended to use, which may not be the ideal way, but works for my purposes is
to create a dir, /usr/local/guile2 and then
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/guile2
make && make install

I like this method, as when further releases come out, for example 2.0.12, I can simply create
another dir, for example, /usr/local/guile2012

I have geiser with emacs installed, so in my .emacs I have
(setq geiser-guile-binary "/usr/local/guile2/bin/guile")

Kind Regards,
Vernon Oberholzer