Re: Using Guile for soft-realtime

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Using Guile for soft-realtime
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 11:25:45 -0500

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020, Joshua Branson via General Guile related discussions
<guile-user@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hey Olivier!
>
> I've heard that guile is generally faster than python, but there are
> some other schemes that are faster, notably chez scheme.

Yes.  I remember seing somewhere that Guile is much more energy
efficiant than Python.  It's a shame that the latter is more popular
than the former.

> I will also say that Andy Wingo (one of the guile maintainers) is
> working on making guile code "within" an order of magnitude of the speed
> of C code.  I would say to try to build your program in guile and post
> back here.

Well the software in question is a video game engine.  But I managed to
integrate Guile into the engine, deactivating the Guile context in
critical section of C code.  Work like a charm!

--
Olivier Dion
PolyMtl