guix-devel

Re: Getting rid of build tools

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Getting rid of build tools
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 16:33:47 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> I am not saying we don't need build tools altogether - I'll still use
> make and rake, for example. But we certainly don't need all the
> baggage that comes with the current set of 'complex' Makefile
> generation tools that are automake and cmake.

The main purpose of Automake is to generate makefiles that (1) contain a
lot of non-trivial rules that Make alone does not provide, such as
dependency tracking for C source and headers, and (2) to generate the
rules specified in the GNU Coding Standards that and users have come to
expect:

  http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html

I think this remains relevant.

Ludo’.