guix-devel

Re: Being excellent to one another

From: dian_cecht
Subject: Re: Being excellent to one another
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 19:57:07 -0700

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 17:40:27 -0500
Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> wrote:
> The important thing is to not assume someone's preferred pronouns
> without knowing them.  Singular they isn't your only option; I also
> happen to like Spivak pronouns:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spivak_pronoun

The problem here is that I'd be suprised if many people have even heard
about these. I used to play MUDs quite a bit and have /never/ heard any
of those. They are certainly not a part of common usage, and I'd say
should be avoided for something more standard (them et al). It's a nice
idea, but overall seems like it would cause confusion, and probably
more than a few "Hey, there is a typo in the manual"-type bugs than
anything.

At least, if I picked up a random bit of documentation and saw things
like "e" used constantly, I'd assume it was a typo and not some archaic
gender-neutral pronoun.