guix-devel

Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:55:29 -0400

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 02:45:31PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> Mekeor Melire transcribed 0.8K bytes:
> > But how to package go-libraries for Guix? We don't have a
> > go-build-system. On usual distributions, you install these libraries
> > either with `go get github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3` or `go install
> > github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3`. In fact, Nix just downloads those two
> > libraries to the same directory as TMSU:
>
> I don't see any replies to this, so:
> I think the current state of the go-build-system is that someone
> (Pjotr?) started working on it but it needs someone with more experience
> in Go to get this finished.

It was Petter that shared a prototype go-build-system. Recently I read
it carefully and have a good idea of how to proceed. I plan to finish it
eventually but I'm happy to share what I learned with anyone else who is
interested in doing the work.

> There is 'syncthing' which someone has packaged, maybe you could look at
> it and apply something similar.

That package is here:
https://github.com/lfam/pkgs/blob/master/leo/packages/syncthing.scm

It shows a bit about how Go software expects to be built, but not the
whole story. It uses the bundled dependencies, so it doesn't illustrate
how the dependencies need to be laid out in a filesystem union relative
to the Syncthing source code.