guix-devel

Re: ISO image available for testing!

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: ISO image available for testing!
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 21:35:17 +0000

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello there!
>
> I’ve uploaded a GuixSD installation ISO image for testing:
>

> http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-install-0.13.0.8d7f1d736.x86_64-linux.iso.xz
>   SHA256: 7e04017494c419bb6ca654cff05dc7e5ba4fdfd3c2812fba9ba6d929b319e93b
>

> http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-install-0.13.0.8d7f1d736.x86_64-linux.iso.xz.sig
>
> It was built with “guix system disk-image -t iso9660
> gnu/system/install.scm” on commit 8d7f1d736.
>
> Note that it’s 1.1G uncompressed so it won’t fit on a CD.
>
> Feedback welcome!

Hey,

I've attempted to use this to install GuixSD on a Bytemark
VM. Unfortunately I haven't succeeded yet. I managed to get as far as
running guix system init, but when I did, it started downloading the
bootstrap binaries, and then building binutils.

When I run guix system build, or guix build with the --dry-run options,
it says that it will download, rather than building, but it doesn't.

I also made a few other notes during the installation process:

 - The documentation mentions ipconfig to get the wired interface up,
   but it isn't available in the image. I had to run ip link set eth0
   up.
 - The documentation says that the ssh server needs to be started, but
   it was running without me starting it.

Any tips on debugging the building from source issue?

Thanks,

Chris