guix-devel

Re: You say nix, I say guix: Nix 2.0 and Guix

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: You say nix, I say guix: Nix 2.0 and Guix
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 17:44:06 +0000

Chris Marusich transcribed 1.4K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> On February 22nd, Nix 2.0 was released:
>
> https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#ssec-relnotes-2.0
>
> It contains a lot of interesting new features.  Are there any plans to
> merge some of the nix-daemon changes into our guix-daemon?  Is
> compatibility with the nix-daemon a goal of the Guix project?  Can we
> take inspiration from any of the non-daemon features and use them in
> Guix?  Conversely, is there anything we can upstream to Nix that they
> might find useful?
>
> --
> Chris

What could be reused in my opinion, from the changelog and not simply code:

* Silent builds / operations by default.
  We already have the option for this, without the progress report iirc.
  Since only developers and Build machines are interested in the verbose
  building output, we could adjust the defaults to this?

* specific example in the --help output of the functions?
  At the moment we have generic examples. Something that tells
  people how to install for example libreoffice is much closer
  to their reality when they are lost (judging from my group of
  friends who are technically skilled but still not Guix current
  user group.).

* nix why-depends, nix path-info are nice.

* do we have a progress report on guix gc operations for optimizing?

* nix ls-store and nix ls-nar look interesting.

* "In Linux sandbox builds, we now use /build instead of /tmp as the temporary
build directory. This fixes potential security problems when a build
accidentally stores its TMPDIR in some security-sensitive place, such as an
RPATH."
  This is a very interesting development. I wanted to move TMPDIR for specific
cases anyway
  but did not consider yet another directory in the root. I would've used
another location.