guix-devel

Starting 'core-updates'

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Starting 'core-updates'
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 16:12:42 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Marius Bakke <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> I agree.  There was an issue with cross-compiling ‘bootstrap-tarballs’
>>> that Marius reported a few days ago, which I’m looking into right now.
>>> I don’t expect the fix(es) to trigger a full rebuild.
>>>
>>> If Marius and others don’t object, I’d say go for it!
>>
>> No objections from me.  However I do have a bunch of fairly innocent
>> updates in my queue, such as SQLite, Glib and CMake.  It's also tempting
>> to get rid of that Perl graft.  Is it too late for such changes?
>
> I think it’s OK for sqlite/glib/cmake, but changing Perl would further
> delay things, which perhaps is not desirable.

I was running a bit late with my patches and pushed them to a separate
branch before noticing the 'rhash' update on 'master'.  Now there have
been a couple of world-rebuilding commits on the 'core-updates-next'
branch since, so I wonder how to move forward.

* Start 'core-updates' as-is.
* Pick all updates from the -next branch that won't rebuild the world
  (that is everything apart from "xz" and "file").
* Take all the -next commits, remove the Perl graft, and do a new 'core'
  evaluation.

Any preferences?  Due to the "rhash" update, I suppose we can take
anything from -next that depends on CMake also with option #1.

>> Hydra will be busy for a couple of days with 'master' and 'staging', so
>> there's little use in starting it immediately.
>
> It took me a couple of days to reply :-), so maybe we can start the
> evaluation now?

Let's get this rolling as soon as the current Hydra queue clears!