guix-devel

Re: bootstrap: i686-linux now builds without binutils, gcc seeds

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: bootstrap: i686-linux now builds without binutils, gcc seeds
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 16:38:39 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi Ludo',

> (And sorry for the delay; I reckon my mail scheduling algorithm leaves a
> lot to be desired…)

AFAICS, esp. what's coming your way you schedule way better than I do ;)

>> address@hidden Reduced Binary Seed Bootstrap
>> address@hidden The Reduced Binary Seed Bootstrap
>
> I really like it!  I was wondering whether to make it a subsection of
> “Bootstrapping”.  Thoughts?

Yes, let's do that.  The reason I put it in a different section
altogether was mainly because it was only for i686-linux at the time.
Also, I thought it would be/grow bigger -- let's address that whenever
that happens.

> Regardless we should update the “Preparing to Use the Bootstrap
> Binaries” section (and its image) as well as “Reducing the Set of
> Bootstrap Binaries” (at least adding a cross-reference to the new
> section.)

Ah, yes and this may need some thought/work.  I can imagine having
"Reducing the Set of Bootstrap Binaries" first that mentions the problem
and wish for reducing the set and auditing, naturally flow into the
new bootstrap that takes steps works in that direction.  But we probably
need to mention the Reduced bootstrap earlier...hmm.

> (Again I’m not suggesting to do it right away, this can come later!)

OK, I'm keeping a TODO list.

janneke