guix-devel

Re: Come back and graphical installer

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Come back and graphical installer
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 21:48:34 +0600

Hi Pierre,

> I'm a bit late to the discussion, so maybe this was discussed before, but what
> about a graphical installer (X / Wayland)?  I think it would offer more appeal
> to a wider audience.  People acquainted to curses-like interfaces are usually
> also familiar with commandline, which is the current way of installing

I remember this topic has been discussed here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-09/msg00247.html

To give you my opinion, I think that having a X/Wayland installer would
be really nice and totally agree. However, I also think it is important
to capitalize on the work already done. Plus, writting this kind of
installer is quite complicated because:

* Using Anaconda[1] as suggested by Harmut would mean interfacing a huge
  codebase in Python, written for FHS based distributions.
* To write this kind of installer in Guile, we need bindings for a nice
  high level graphical library and we have to be careful not to increase
  too much the installer footprint.

So this seems that something we want in the future but that is a bit out
of reach for the 1.0 release.

Mathieu

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda_(installer)