guix-devel

Re: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.]
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:20:15 +0100

> Oh, we should really work towards unbundling things from ‘go-ipfs’.  Any
> idea how difficult that would be?

go-ipfs has more than 100 deps.  So unless we work on a recursive importer, it's
going to be a lot of work.

Harder: those dependencies can only be retrieved with gx (or IPFS itself, but
then we have a  bootstrapping issue).  Hence my former work on the gx
downloader.  I got stuck at an SSL issue.

> “guix size syncthing”, for instance, returns mostly tiny Go packages,
> which looks good to me, no?

Funny, for me "guix size syncthing" returns no Go package at all... Err... Am I
doing something wrong?

The issue is there for Demlo and Kurly though.  It's not a big deal, but it
could be cleaner.

I'll open a bug.

--
Pierre Neidhardt