guix-devel

Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 10:03:49 -0500

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I'd like to package Jami.  Has anyone given it a shot yet?

I did some work on this about eight months ago, but wasn’t able to
finish it.  AFAIK, my work is the most recent and complete attempt.
IIRC, I could install and run Ring, but it was not entirely usable.

I just committed all of my working directory files, and pushed
everything to <https://gitlab.com/samplet/guix.git> on the “wip-ring”
branch.  Unfortunately, I have to kind of throw it over the wall at you.
It was some time ago, and I can’t remember all of the details.
Apologies for the mess.  :)

There are two things that I do remember, though.  (1) Jami has a lot of
vendored packages and some of them have significant patches (I’m mostly
thinking of “pjproject”).  Some of these patches were in the process of
being upstreamed, so let’s hope that has gone well and you can clean up
some of the patches and hacks that were needed there.  (2) I had some
pause about what to do with copyright headers.  You are the fourth
person to work on this, and the other three of us did not consistently
add our names to the copyright headers of files we changed.  ;)  Not
sure what to do there.

Happy hacking!

-- Tim