guix-devel

Re: ‘sudo’ leaves PATH unchanged… so what?

From: Caleb Ristvedt
Subject: Re: ‘sudo’ leaves PATH unchanged… so what?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:06:04 +0000

I'd just like to add that if a user has guix installed for root but only really keeps their user's guix up to date (I imagine a fairly common situation), they're in for a weird situation when using sudo: a bleeding-edge guix will complain about being outdated, since sudo (even with -E) sets $USER, which is used to determine which file's timestamp should be used for deciding whether the installed guix is outdated. Basically, your shiny new guix warns you that someone else's dirty old guix is old.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 7:31 AM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:

> IMHO it should be explicitly stated that in general it's not
> advised/needed to install guix for the root user and that "guix system"
> must be run as a normal user via sudo (and the user must be allowed to
> do so by root via sudoers); then the example above

Currently, installing Guix for the root user is what the installer
script does and what the instructions for the binary installation method
suggest.

--
Ricardo